In Part 3 of my series of interviews with John Nimmo, the owner of Southern Real Estate Group and Keynote Speaker with Leadershiplived.com, we delve deeper into the core of why asking intentional, genuine questions is so important to leadership. Vesting yourself in relationships rather than transactions NOT ONLY creates greater success, but changes who you are. Because, as we’ve all discovered by now, people do business with who they know like and trust.
Leadership is a science than can be learned. But, in order to be successful, we need to understand the areas of communication that lack in our own leadership.
Generally, we’ve been trained heavily in all areas of communication except for one CRUCIAL area.
What We Know:
How much time, in your lifetime, have you investing in LEARNING to be an expert in the following categories: reading, writing, and speaking?
We begin, at a young age, learning all of these life skills.
What We Don’t Know:
HOW TO BE A LISTENER!!
Listening gets the least investment, yet it’s the most important skill. It’s the determining factor to weather or not you are going to be successful.
Have we really learned how to communicate if we don’t know how to listen and ask the right questions?
The trait of a leader is you get knocked down but you always get back up.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
1. Build Traction Through…Feel vs Think
- Buying decisions are based on emotions not logic.
- Know like and trust – is that logical or is that feeling?
- Asking how do you feel about that is using a thermometer to take the temperature of the situation
2. Build Traction Through…Indirect Leadership
- It allows people to draw their own conclusions in order to operate on the same page.
- We are so focused on what we have to say that we forget that its our job to validate others.
3. Build Traction Through…Being A Discoverer
- Using your giftedness to the circumstances, businesses, and personal relationships that you are in.
- You MUST discover your gifts first.
- Then, you can discover the gifts the people around you possess.
- And, finally you can discover how to apply those to your market.